Monday, December 20, 2004

emotion in motion (to borrow a song title)

I think it was the last vodka that did it,
Could feel my head spinning as I reached for the keys
Why didn't I just say no?
Why didn't I walk out to catch the breeze?

It's all well in hindsight, she says
Talking to herself in the dark
Forgotten all the blood on the street?
As you hit the woman near the park?

She got into the car, she remembers
Turning on the ignition
Inhaling the night air as the car revs into acceleration
Is she all there? Can she manage? Of course, what's the consternation?

Stupid, stupid girl
What were you thinking?
Would it have hurt you if you'd asked for help?
Said you'd been too much drinking?

She thought she was cruising
But her eyes grew heavy
She doesn't know when it happened
But she heard her bang against the Chevy

Why didn't I see her
Walking along the kerb?
I could have slowed down
I could have stopped her getting hurt

There was blood all over the car
She lay senseless on the road
And in a flash of a second she saw, her face
Splashed all over the place

Why did I run, she thinks
Instead of stopping to see
If I've killed the woman lying there
Or if there's some hope for me

She slowed, then panicked, then revved
Running the hell out of there
Rushing home to get into bed
Under the covers, there's no fear

What was the point of it all, she thinks
Sitting now in her prison cell
I killed one life, but lost two
And gained a conscience which will never forgive, or forget.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jabberwock said...

She's a poet,
Now we know it

20 December, 2004  
Blogger Jabberwock said...

Disheartened, I turned my back on poetry decades ago, after my kindergarten teacher died during one of my recitations.
But, milady, you inspire me to new depths:

Through countless ruptures,
Flows an unholy gush.
His blood colours the pavement,
It’s the Devil’s paintbrush.

What’s the colour of gore?
I’m not sure any more
What’s that smeared on my car door??
Now he’s spattered across the divider,
His brains a yellow-brown goo
I had one for the road
(But then I might’ve had two.)

To be continued...

20 December, 2004  
Blogger eM said...

um..Sasan are you okay?
No sudden giddiness? Nausea? Hearing voices in your head?

20 December, 2004  
Blogger GSB said...

ha ha ha
No eM, thanks for the concern but I am fine. Poetry is really amazing, it's liberating when you write it and the gush of reactions is quite something... don't know where that came from... really.

20 December, 2004  
Blogger writer-in-egg-style said...

Words betray the heart

31 December, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home