Thursday, July 21, 2005

Rock on

OK, so I am getting some of my groove back. This is a blog I've been wanting to write for a while. Actually, ever since I finished reading Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point. I loved the book, it really did expand my thought process, so much so that I've been quoting it to friends and trying to analyse a lot of everyday things based on the few simple principles laid out in the book. And one of the core things the book tries to analyse is how small trends, small habits in one remote part of the world mushroom into epidemics, how they reach a tipping point and then suddenly everyone is using it or sporting it or saying it etc.
And today I'm going to write about one such phenomenon and it is rock. Yes, everything and anything and everyone is rocking. I don't quite know how it started but it's everywhere. I just went on to an Illinois-based blog and a comment on the show Cheaters was 'the show rocks'. I read an interview of Samir Nair, COO of Star TV on KBC2 and he was talking about how Amitabh Bachchan rocks and how he is the ultimate rock star. I turn on Star World and I see the show Rockstar (choosing a new band member for INXS) . I watch Dus and when Sanjay Dutt has to motivate his team he doesn't just say, 'C'mon boys let's do it'. That would be too staid. He says 'C'mon boys let's rock'. Bu they don't pull out their guitars and drums, more like AKs and grenades. Ask anyone how they're doing and no one says, 'I'm good'. It's always 'I'm rocking' or 'you rock'. Now all any marketer needs to do is to realise how fast this word and what it conveys has caught on, and they need to launch something which either has the word or the import in it. It could be an ad campaign or it could be a product, like Reebok could launch a pair of sneakers and call them Rockstars and I'm sure they would fly off shelves. Or it could be more subtle, like a hoarding using the power of suggestion. This is how epidemics happen.
Sorry Mr Bachchan, your favourite phrase, mind blowing, just didn't spread this fast.

3 Comments:

Blogger writer-in-egg-style said...

From dorm whispers... steadily... to zillion-watt no-doubt concerts.

Special sound effects (sfx) n' all.

Gee, n-n-now, it could make quite a study in dome accoustics.

21 July, 2005  
Blogger the cowlick said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

22 July, 2005  
Blogger the cowlick said...

From mast to chill and hot to cool, we don't seem to have come a long way, do we?

22 July, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home