Monday, January 30, 2006

Another ad/life blog

Thanks everyone who shared their comments on the previous blog about big cities and small towns. I notice that the feeling is catching on. I saw an ad for Wagon R today (an MUV from Maruti, India's largest car maker) and it was about a young guy, ex-investment banker, who gives up his job to start an adventure sports company. 'My office is now 10 X 4', goes the vocie over, and has him sitting on a fold up chair in the white silver sands of Rishikesh, catching trout for supper and relaxing with a girl by his side. The tagline is something about the next generation.
This actually takes the Tata Dicor, 'Make your own road' ad a step further in terms of thought. That had the guy in an underground tunnel with the now-famous 'I always wanted to quit on a Monday morning' and urged people to make their own path in life. This Wagon R ad (and both are vehicles) actually shows a guy who has done that -- quit a plush city job to set up base in the mountains and the river, and enjoying himself to the hilt, no regret in sight.
This is obviously a reflection of how we are feeling and heading. Every other day I come across someone who has either quit or wants to quit their job to do something else. Maybe even just social work, without money (a blog on that later). In fact, there is a blogger who is with a top notch consultancy and is quitting his job to pursue full-time writing. I know a colleague who is quitting to do some social work with kids, and I know a high profile executive who nurtures dreams to work with an NGO soon. This generation has not seen a real war, alienation, separation, partition. Not up close at least. I know that my only brush with the partition is through stories, and even those are not peppered with gore anymore as grandparents find themselves having forgotten or chosen to forget the horrors and settled into a somewhat comfortable environment. This generation has been born into homes with cars and computers, OK not iPods, but micros, fridges, ovens yes and the basic comforts of life were a given. Which is why they have the balls to actually think of doing this. Can you imagine our dad and mums quitting their jobs to set up adventure camps or a shaadi.com or some such? It's interesting, the freedom that a booming economy brings. You can actually afford to unleash yourself from the 'let's make pots of money race' which is precisely what the country is doing, and do something different, because it's only when the going's good that people have the money to spend on your 'different' service. If it wasn't you'd too be behind that 9-9 desk looking at that ad which goes 'I always wanted to quit on a Monday morning' and thinking, 'Yeah man, I so want that'.

21 Comments:

Blogger the cowlick said...

Excellent post, gsb! I do, however, feel that this privilege of leaving a well-paying job and starting something just because it makes you happy is limited to very few of us who don't have demanding parents who are always after you to do better; a nagging wife maybe, who says the same; or just conditioning and society that refuses to accept that any job that doesn't involve an office and a monthly salary is doomed.

31 January, 2006  
Blogger writer-in-egg-style said...

This is a day late, but then some of this calls for 20-year-span thinking. A good way to honour the sacrifices of the older generation to make the world a more cheerful planet for us, would be to fulfill the dreams that were undreamable in their days. This means taking on challenges they couldn't afford to ("afford" in more than just the fiscal sense). Given the way the world is globalising, this purpose may not really be served best by opting out of the "rat race". In fact, one could possibly prove more effective as part of a big powerful organisation: so quitting a job to pursue an independent path may not be the ideal decision.

Ayn Rand, who I have only patchy regard for, said that even a do-gooder is selfishly motivated who does good for self-fulfilment (admitedly or not). I do not take such a cynical view, since the world is not exactly devoid of a selfless unity of purpose. But I do believe that furrowing a lonely path can easily amount to escapism...

... unless. Unless you do have something significant of your own for the world!!

31 January, 2006  
Anonymous U2 said...

pride, in the name of

31 January, 2006  
Blogger writer-in-egg-style said...

U2's Pride syndrome: I know, I know. Refer to last line above ("significant...etc).

31 January, 2006  
Blogger Yours Truly...Conman said...

Life ain't a rehearsal. Just one take... Just one life.
Take your chances.
Sometimes you just gotta take the damn leap, and build your wings on the damn way down.
Jump.
You'll fly. And you'll never know, until you try.

01 February, 2006  
Blogger Sangita said...

Cldn't agree more. Got to be a regualr visitor here..hey BTW why in exile u seem to be perfectly in with the writing stuff

01 February, 2006  
Anonymous blogreader said...

writing is a state of mind. "exile" is a state of mind. the most compelling writing comes from exile, it dont have to be physical or literal exile like vanvaas etc etc in amar chitra katha comics

01 February, 2006  
Blogger GSB said...

Hey Cowlick: totally agree with you. If my husband announced he wants to up and quit, I'd be very jittery. Luckily my parents won't nag me, and one day I am going to do something like this.

Conman: You got it, and you wrote it really well too. Watch me fly. Soon, I promise.

Egg-style: Is life only about achievening other's dreams and serving a purpose in the world? And I am not that cynical. I agree that you may do social work to derive happiness for yourself, which is selfish, but whatever the intention, you are helping better someone's life, someone's day, and deriving your happiness by bringing some happiness in that person's life. Now that couldn't be selfish could it?


Sangita and Blogreader: welcome to the blog. The reason the words 'writer' and 'exile' figure there are because when I started this blog a year and some months ago I had just taken a break from being a full time writer, a journalist rather, after 7 years, so this was my way of continuing to write, while in exile from professional writing. As it turned out, I was back to full time writing and journalism three months after that but I let the blog name be. Read my first blog. It's at the bottom of the page when you click on this link, and it's called Hiya.
http://writer-in-exile.blogspot.com/2004_10_01_writer-in-exile_archive.html

01 February, 2006  
Blogger writer-in-egg-style said...

No. All's dream, one's purpose. Peace !!

02 February, 2006  
Blogger tandymartin8039201633 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://www.juicyfruiter.blogspot.com

09 February, 2006  
Blogger Hazel Dream said...

seems like my struggle here .

18 March, 2006  
Blogger Selma Mirza said...

coming back?

28 March, 2006  
Blogger Rohini said...

I am struggling with this currently. I so want to chuck up my high pressure job and move to something that allows me more time for my son. And move to city where a handkerchief-sized park is not the only place I can introduce my son to nature. But there are bills to be paid and expectations (mom, husbands, friends) to be managed...

30 March, 2006  
Blogger 4WD said...

Its not that hard, if you pick the right job. I mean, everyone, including gujaratis, want to take a week off every year for `adventure travel'. So its good business. And since i've worked in the line, i know its not exactly path-breaking... theres tonnes of people doing it.

But you're right, it does take a lot of courage to drop a job that has a pay packet coming in at the end of the month, to where you don;t know where the money's coming from.

And you meet a lot of women working in `adventure tourism' :)

01 April, 2006  
Blogger J said...

hey what do you think about the new set of cola Ads?

21 April, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya man, so want that

25 April, 2006  
Anonymous adventure education said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my adventure education site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

16 July, 2006  
Anonymous adventure tour said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my adventure tour site.
Have a great day!

19 July, 2006  
Anonymous Lindsay Lohan said...

best

24 October, 2006  
Anonymous Cat said...

best

24 October, 2006  
Anonymous Lingeries said...

best

24 October, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home