Thursday, May 25, 2006

a quick one

Too much going on so this is just a quick blog.
> JWT, sorry the Appy Fizz adds don't do anything for me. I know the adfilmmakers have tried to position it as this cool drink to hang out with, since drinks -- alcoholic or otherwise -- are an integral part of any hangin' out, but a ginat sized plastic inflatable balloon as cool? Sorry. It just reminds me of those punching toys that kids play with. The kind you box and they just bob right back. If you must know, my 11-year-old nephew asked me about the ad this morning, which is why I remembered that you'd asked my opinion on this ad. Well, he likes the ad. So if that's the target audience Appy Fizz was looking for, then I guess they're fine!
> The ad that did catch my attention the other day was the new Reebok DMX ad, posters of which were plastered all across the wall opposite Juhu beach. It just has the picture of a road, shot in this orange twilight kind of effect, and it says 'The road is free. Run'. The next one says 'The road is open 24/7. Run'. Loved both ads. of course in Mumbai the road is not free, because it's potholed. But yeah I know what they mean. What does it really take to exercise? You don't need a gym, you don't need to pay fancy fees at Gold's or Ozone or whatever, you just need to put on those shoes and get out there. I even thought of the marathon. But despite Mumbai not being a very run-able city, cool ads all the same. I wanted to get out of the car and run!
> Not seen any exciting ads on TV recently, because I've hardly been watching any TV. Will do so soon and be back with more observations.

4 Comments:

Blogger writer-in-egg-style said...

Get theatrical enuff, and there’s no limit to the props an ad can use (noticed, often though, only with the TV in silence mode). Like those imagination games: “here’s a box, now use your head and get out the message!!”

The Reebok guys were probably told “here’s a pair of dmx, that’s all you got, now run with it”

29 May, 2006  
Blogger Grafxgurl said...

i miss the crazy indian commercials...here in Thailand....either one cant understand a thing if you dont unerstand Thai..or.. the pronunciation is so "otherworldly" that you dont know what the product is called!!

hello:) first time here...

05 June, 2006  
Blogger GSB said...

Hi Grafxgurl, welcome. I was in Bangkok recently and boy, is the language a major problem or what!! So I know what you mean.

13 June, 2006  
Blogger writer-in-egg-style said...

While on language miscomprehension:

Q. Why did Ad Wait and Fun Ah get kicked out of the bar?

A. "Don't mix drinks" said the bar-tender, but they insisted on spiritual unity

16 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home